Create activities for a section
can generate the activities that a student who is enrolled on a section must attend.
About this task: First, you must define valid deliveries for sections. A delivery defines how many activities are necessary per week to deliver the teaching of a module, and defines the activity length. For example, if modules that must deliver six periods of teaching per week exist, you might define two deliveries: 2 activities that are 3 periods long, and 3 activities that are 2 periods long.
To create activities, you choose a module, then you choose a delivery. A delivery can be used with any module.
To complete this procedure, Sections menu.must be configured to display the
To create the activities for a section, follow these steps:
- To define valid deliveries, follow these steps:
- In the Edit menu, point to Sections, then click Edit Valid Section Deliveries (see 1, below).
- In the Edit Valid Section Deliveries window, define deliveries. For example, to define a delivery that consists of 2 activities that are 3 periods long, click the plus icon (2) to add a row to the table, then enter 2 in the No. Occurrences in Week column and 3 in the Duration column (3).
- Click OK.
- In the list at the top of the Views pane, click Modules (see 4, below).
- Click the module (5) that you want to create activities for.
- In the Edit menu, point to Sections, then click Generate Section Activities (6).
- In the Select the required section delivery area, select a delivery (7).
Note: You can choose from deliveries that deliver the number of periods required by the module. The requirement is set in the User Text 5 property of the course or programme of study that the module is associated with. The SourceOfRequiredSectionPeriods setting in the EnterpriseTimetabler.exe.config file determines whether refers to that property of the course, or of the programme of study.
- In the Number to generate box (8), enter or select the number of sections that you want to create activities for.
- If the No. Occurrences in Week value of the selected delivery is greater than 1, then in the day list (9), select the days that the teaching must be delivered on. If the value is 1, optionally select a day; if you do not select a day, then during scheduling chooses which day the activity occurs on.
Note: For each section, will create one activity that has in-week repetition. For example, if the delivery that you select consists of 2 activities that are 3 periods long, and you select Tuesday and Thursday, create a 3 period activity that has Tuesday and Thursday as its suggested days. When the activity is scheduled, it will occur on both those days.
- Optional: To set the Suggested Time property of the new activities, select a time from the list (10). By default, the property is set to 'No suggested time'. To return the value of this property to 'No suggested time' after you select a time, click the cross beside the list.
- If the activities have resource requirements, click the arrow (see 11, above) in the corresponding row of the Optionally specify resource requirements area, then specify the requirement. The Available table in the Presets area contains only resources that you have full permission to use. The controls in the Resource Editor are equivalent to those described in Add a flexible resource requirement to an activity and Add a preset resource requirement to an activity:
- The Requirement Number box is equivalent to the Number box.
- The Suitabilities area is equivalent to the Suitabilities table.
- Note: In the Resource Editor window, a flexible requirement can consist only of a list of suitabilities.
- The Presets area is equivalent to the Manual selection table. When you choose suitabilities, the Available table in the Presets area is updated.
- To select the resources that you want to add as preset requirements, move them from the Available list in the presets area to the Selected list.
- You can create student sets to represent the students that are enrolled on the sections. One student set is created for each activity. To create student sets, follow these steps:
- Select Create Student Set (12).
- In the box below the check box, review the preview of the student set name.
- To change the name, click Student Set Name, modify the options in the Student Set Name window, then click Save. The controls in the Base, Separator, and Suffix areas are equivalent to those described in Copy Activities options. However, in the Base area, the only options are Module (which corresponds to the 'name of the item that you selected' option described in Copy Activities options) and Other.
- To generate activities, click Generate (13).
Result: generates the requested number of activities. The activity name contains the module name. If you chose to create a student set, it is allocated to the activity.