Automatically schedule activities
You can automatically schedule one or more activities. For example, in a single action you can schedule all the activities that comprise a particular module.
Before you begin: Decide whether to use the standard scheduling function, or
About this task: During scheduling, allocates suitable, available resources that you have
- It satisfies the activity's
requirements. Note: If the activity has a preset requirement for a resource, then only the start times when that resource is available can be valid.
- It is owned by or shared with the activity's department.
- If it is a location, its capacity is equal to or greater than the activity size.
- If it is a location, it has a zone that matches or is part of the activity's zone.
To schedule activities, follow these steps:
- Choose which activities to schedule:
- To schedule all the activities that are associated with an item in the Views pane, select the items in the Views pane (see 1, above). You can select multiple items. For example, you can select multiple modules.
- To schedule specific activities, select items in the Views pane, then select activities in the table in the Activities pane (2).
- Review the
scheduling preferencesand scheduling optionsto ensure that their settings are appropriate.
- To identify any inherently unschedulable activities, use the
Feasibility Checkfeature. Before you automatically schedule activities, use this feature and resolve the problems that it reports.
- Run a scheduling function:
- To use standard scheduling, click Schedule (3) in the Scheduling menu.
- To use backtrack scheduling, click Backtrack Schedule (4) in the Scheduling menu.
Result: schedules the activities and allocates resources. If more than a minimal amount of processing occurs, displays a progress bar. During processing, displays an icon (see 5, above) in the bottom corner of the window. This icon indicates that
Activities that can be scheduled are added to the timetable of their resources, and to the timetable of other items that the activities are associated with (for example, the module).
The scheduled day and time of an activity is clash free for its resources and student sets. It also satisfies the hard constraints of the activity and its associated items, such as its resources, student sets, its activity template, its module, and the institution. For example, if the institution is closed on Sunday, the activity cannot occur on that day.
An activity that cannot be scheduled remain unscheduled. In the activity's row in the table in the Activities pane, the check box in the Scheduled column (6) remains unticked.