Add a requirement for pooled resources to an activity
You can reserve a specific number of items from a pooled resource. Pooled resources are a set of resources (such as microscopes) that are not individually identified and of which several items might be required for an activity.
To add a pooled resource requirement, follow these steps:
- In the table in the Activities pane, or in the timetable area, click the activity that you want to add a requirement to. Then, click the Resources tab above the timetable area.
- Click the plus icon in the top corner of the Pools row.
- Click the arrow button that forms the side of the table in the Pools row:
- Move the required resources from the Available list to the Selected list:
- Select the resources in the Available list. You can select multiple resources. The listed resources are owned by or shared with the activity's department.
- Click the arrow button that points towards to the Selected list.
- To set up the requirement, follow these steps:
- In the Relationship cell, select a relationship. The relationships are described in the table below.
- If applicable, type or select a whole number in the Relative cell. The relationship and the Relative value collectively specify how many items are required. Some relationships do not require a Relative value.
Note: Some relationships use the size of the activity in their calculation. The activity size is either the planned size or the real size of the activity. If you open the Activity Editor window for the activity and the Use Planned Size check box is selected, then the calculation uses the planned size.
The Relative cell describes the number of resources that are required for the activity. There is no relationship between activity size and the number of items that are required.
Resources per student
The Relative cell describes the number of resources that each student requires. The quantity required is calculated as the size of the activity multiplied by the number in the Relative cell.
Student per resource
In the Relative cell describes the number of students that are able to share a resource. For example, four students can share a toolkit. The quantity required is calculated as the size of the activity divided by the relative number and rounded up.
For some activities, you might not be able to express the relationship between the activity size and the number of items required as a whole number. For example, 15 students might be able to share 10 microscopes. In the Relative cell, enter the number of items required for the current size of the activity. If the activity size changes, the value in the Relative cell is automatically updated.
One to one
The quantity required is equal to the size of the activity. The number in the Relative cell is not applicable.
There is no requirement for the resource. The number in the Relative cell is not applicable.
- Click Change Requirement. saves the requirement, and displays the number of required items in brackets beside the item name.